Food in Berlin: Yarok

©stilinberlin yarok

The myth of Berlin’s multiculturalism, its mix of many different cultures and nationalities prevails as one of its current perks. While it’s actually a very German, very white society shaping this city, and more of a coexistence of several ethnic groups rather than a real mixture. This Berlin (or German) characteristic gets all the more clear to me when travelling and seeing cities with an actual diverse community.

However the various residents of Berlin mostly mix in one certain place – an arabic food vendor. Everyone can agree on the very fine selection and quality of Middle Eastern and Arabic food in Berlin, may it be Turkish, Persian or, as in this case, Syrian. Yarok is a little deli in my neighborhood, and it’s the one I rely on when I want some fresh and quick but delicious comfort food. Like a hot chickpea soup with halloumi, a giant plate filled with falafel, various salads and fresh yoghurt sauce, or a surprisingly light and dainty Fattoush, a salad with toasted pita bread. The interior is rather colorful, bright wall colors meet with patterned stools, but I am not visiting this restaurant for its design anyway. The food prepared and sold here is one of the best arabic foods I found in my almost 10 years of living in Berlin.

©stilinberlin yarok-4 ©stilinberlin yarok-1

Yarok
Torstraße 193
10115 Berlin Mitte

Subway: Nordbahnhof

daily from 12pm

Comments

1. Thommy on

hab ich auch schon gegessen :))

2. Im Mary on

it looks great and really tasty :-)

3. Lischen on

sieht wirklich Yummi aus ! :33

4. nietzschesorphan on

Why are you making a feature of the interior?

Would you do the same if it was excerpts

from The Koran?

Perhaps the owners are christians, maybe not,

I don’t know.

If the food is delicious,

the interior design whether Christian,

Buddhist, Muslim or whatever doesn’t bother me.

Thanks for the tip.

Bless*

Mark

5. Jesus-in-the-city on

It’s no secret from my screen name that I am Christian…

That being said, I find it interesting that people think it’s weird to eat in a restaurant with Bible verses displayed, yet wouldn’t think twice about eating in a place displaying a huge buddha or the Hindu and/ or Islamic adornments that many Indian restaurants display…

Just some food for thought.

Enjoy your blog and learning what’s happening in Berlin from all the way here in Brooklyn, NY.

Keep up the good work!
    Aja

I would be equally appalled, if it were islamic or hindu or whatever religious verses lining all the walls. Just to make that clear. And I would still go to Ixthys, if I was in the area. But the food is not as good as that it would let me overlook this religious decor

have a lovely summer,
      mary

6. Sasha on

This is my absolute favorite place for Korean food in Berlin. Perhaps in the world. I am not even a tad religious, but perhaps i believe in magic as i think that the bizarre and foreign atmosphere of this restaurant (read: someone whose grandparents weren’t raged on an even an inch of religion) makes the food even better.

7. Paul in NYC on

“It’s” is a contraction of “it is.” The possessive form of “It” is “its.” If you can learn this bit of correct English you will be more enlightened than 75% of Americans under the age of 40.

Dear Paul, thanks for the note, I know the rule, still, I often forget checking it. English is not my first language, so not everything is natural to me

8. Dave Stohler on

I’ve eaten at Ixthys lots but lately the whole religious bent has been giving me pause. The two women are members of Sun Mynung Moon’s cult and I wonder how much money is going back to that cult. You probably wouldn’t eat in a restaurant run by the Scientologists or other cults, so is it OK to eat there? Not sure.

Food’s great though.

Dear Dave, that’s a somewhat crazy information, are you sure, they are? Because that would make the whole thing even weirder…

9. itchy on

this looks amazing. thank you for sharing.