Chinese in Berlin: Tian Fu

Tian Fu - stilinberlin
Aubergine Yuxiang style

After an astonishingly bland dinner at Ming Dynastie last week, I gave up on the idea to get good Chinese food in the East of this city and went back to where Berlin’s Asian heart resides: the West. And I found what is now my favorite place for Chinese, especially Sichuan food: Tian Fu.

stilinberlin tian fu-1

This is probably no news to many of you, not only had I multiple friends on Foursquare who’ve already checked in here, but the restaurant was also quite crowded on a late Sunday afternoon and it seems that making a reservation is very recommended even during weekdays. Yet, the food is so worth it.

We chose four starters and two mains, cucumbers, green beans, algae salad (3,50 Euros each) and steamed buns were followed by fried eggplants Yüxiang style (8,90 Euros) and stir-fried duck Sichuan style (10,50 Euro). We did not order the fish pot although it bore a striking resemblance to the huge pot we had at Silk Road in London, so this needs to be done another time.

Tian Fu - stilinberlin

Shortly said, everything was delicious, fresh and crisp vegetables came along with spicy and sweet dressing for the starters, the eggplants then had such a creamy texture and dainty taste, I couldn’t stop eating until the plate was clean. My dinner partner said the same about the duck – it is highly recommendable to come with as many people as you can to have as many different dishes as possible. The search for my favorite Chinese in Berlin is officially over.

Tian Fu also runs a second restaurant and store at Berliner Str. 15 in Wilmersdorf, if anyone of you has ever been there, let me know if it’s as good as this one!

stilinberlin tian fu-2

Tian Fu
Uhlandstraße 142
10719 Berlin Wilmersdorf

Subway: Hohenzollernplatz
+49 30 8613015
visit website

Mon–Fri 12:00–15:30 17:30–23:00
Sat–Sun 12:00–23:00

Comments

1. Helle Møller on

Thanks for the tip!
    I like Peking Ente in Mohrenstrasse. Is that because I don’t know enough about Chinese food, then?

2. Kaylyn on

This is really good to know. Though it looks a bit fancier than my usual craving asks for (I was totally spoiled by San Francisco’s amazing and dirt cheap chinese food when I lived there), it’s great to know there’s somewhere to go in Berlin if I really get desperate. thanks!

The interior is not necessarily fancy, it’s of course better furnished than a whole-in-the-wall deli, but still quite laid back and not stiff.

3. Kaja on

I have been to the one at Berliner Str. but not to this one. The Hot Pot was very good! A second Chinese restaurant I can recommend is the Nin Hao at Bismarckstr. http://www.china-restaurant-ninhao.de/ we checked it out yesterday and it was full with Chinese which is always a good sign!

4. Moche on

I just have been to the one in Berliner! They have same menu plus Hotpot:) I`ve just post it on my blog so you can check it out how it’s like if you’d like to:)
    As I was living in Shanghai, I can say Tian fu is genuine chinese restaurant and I love it!

5. Anonymous Eater on

I had high hopes visiting Tian Fu earlier this year, but unfortunately the food was not spicy as Sichuan food should be. My partner and I even asked for the dishes to be served like they would be in Sichuan province, but the kitchen (or waitress) completely ignored this.

Otherwise the restaurant is good, although a bit on the pricey side. I’ve been meaning to try their Berliner Str. location for hot pot, but haven’t made it there yet.

so what’s your spot to get your mouth burned well? I myself can’t eat too spicy, but I know the issue.. Florian is someone who likes his food hot and is almost convinced Berlin just isn’t able to offer a decent hot dish… do you agree?

2. Anonymous Eater on

I mostly agree, although there are exceptions. Both DAO and Papaya (on Kantstraße) have cooked delicious AND spicy dishes for me. The dishes I had at DAO (from the Thai section of the menu and cooked “Thai-scharf”) were even so spicy that they were almost too spicy for me.

Also of note is point 8 of this list: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2010/06/dining-in-berlin.html

Oh, we’re both big fans of Dao and Papaya – though how did you manage to order of the Thai section? Do you know or are Thai? Do you just point at something? When I asked for ordering from the Thai menu, they always eschew my question saying that’s only on pre-order, or only for groups, or…

4. Anonymous Eater on

I am neither Thai nor do I speak or read Thai. The time I ordered something off of the Thai-only section of the menu, I simply asked what the waitress recommended. She was a little hesitant, but I insisted that I wanted to order something off of that section and she provided a few recommendations. When we chose something, she warned us that we couldn’t return the dish if we didn’t like it, which we agreed to. In the end the dish was delicious and spicy.

good to know, we’ll be more demanding next time – thanks!

6. Sylee on

Do check out the one on Berliner Strasse, it’s just as good (a bit more spacious too), with lovely handmade noodles in their soup (which you have to ask for specially), and, as other commenters have mentioned, they do hot pot!

as far as i remember, the one at uhlandstraße does hot pot as well – but handmade noodles here I come!

7. Fran on

I have been to both places numerous times. My absolute favorites amongst the starters are tofu in a spicy sesame oil/koriander sauce. Also the pork belly and slow roast beef.
    For the mains I can recommend mapo tofu, the water spinach with garlic and chili, redfish in sichuan sauce and also the stirr-fried mushrooms pot (very hot for my palate). Green beans with chili and minced meat are also great. As well as the sliced pork with spring onions (comes in some sort of brown sauce with the finely sliced onions on the side). Just eat everything. I’m always happy, full and looking forward to the next time after every meal.

thanks so much for these precise recommendations, can’t wait to try them!

8. Fran on

…but Tian Fu at Uhlandstraße is the better choice. More comfortable and the one in Berliner Straße has a reduced menue.

9. Izzy on

As a Chinese, I’ve searched the city to get good Chinese food. I really like the Tian Fu on Berliner Straße, it’s actually Northern Chinese Food. Another good one to try would be Good Friends Berlin: http://www.goodfriends-berlin.de/

For southern Chinese food like dim sum, try Yum Cha Heroes. It’s as authentic as it gets in Berlin.

1. StreetLounge on

My friend took me to “Good Friends” a few times – he’s crazy about it, but I wasn’t that satisfied… I guess it’s a question of taste! :)

10. Char on

Thank you so much for introducing the Tian Fu. I’ll have to eat there soon. Meanwhile I can recommend a great place to eat jiaozi: It’s called Wok Show. Greifenhagener Straße 31 near S-Bahn Station Schönhauser Allee in Prenzlauer Berg. It’s run by a Chinese family and even on weekdays a reservation makes sense. If you don’t have one you should occasionally be alright with waiting some 10-20 minutes for being seated.

11. Bonne on

You should really review Da Jia Le, best Chinese food in Berlin (Haha, well one of these places some like best, it’s Dongbei Cuisine ;) )