Burger in Berlin: Schiller Burger

Berlin, Berlin burger, food in Berlin, Schiller Burger, food in Neukölln, best burger in Berlin, Berlin sweet potato fries

The fondest memories I still have from my stay in the States are all food related: the ice cream sandwich I had  wandering the sunny streets of San Francisco, sharing a brownie in DC while sitting on a bench surrounded by cherry blossoms, or the Indian takeaway feasts I had with my roommates. Back then, we even made something like a bucket list of all the great burger places we wanted to try and soon we found ourselves arguing about which burger was the best. Back in Berlin, I realized that people here too are as passionate about this topic as ever and that, first and foremost, there needed to be certain criteria in place to be able to determine what makes a burger a favorite:

For me, and this may sound heretical, the only burger is a cheese burger. I can go on about this for hours, but the most important thing is the cheese and how it should smoothly melt on the patty just like I experienced it at Shake Shack. (An experience that still makes me look for flights to London from time to time just so I could visit their single European outpost.) And unlike some other burger enthusiasts who swear by toasted buns, I like them a bit more soft. So keep this in mind as we proceed to take a bite out of Schiller Burger.

In Berlin, there’s already a great community of burger places, ranging from the bustling mainstay The Bird to smaller joints like Marienburger or Berlin Burger International. Though the first Schiller Burger was opened only about two years ago in Schillerkiez, it now has already expanded to three locations, all situated in the south of Berlin. I went for the ‘original’. Secluded in an up-and-coming yet still quiet cobblestone area, the place’s brick-wall interior immediately put me in the mood for some American culinary delight.

While waiting for my order, I chatted with the owners and they told me that the whole staff was recruited from their closest friends. Looking at the menu, it certainly seems they have fun at work: since the area is called the Schillerkiez, all the burgers are named after works of the famous 18th-century German author (best buds with Goethe), though none of these really bear any relation to the plays they’re named after. There is, for example, the Maria Stuart burger (4,50 Euros) that comes with mozzarella, the Räuber (2,50 Euros) that is slightly smaller, and not to forget the Don Carlos (4,50 Euros) with barbecue sauce and bacon.

In order to compare it to Berlin’s best burgers, I decided on a classic cheeseburger they called the Glocke (4 Euros), organic meat is two euros more and worth it both for flavor and your conscience, and you can choose from a wide range of sauces to make the best out of your burger experience — from sour cream to chili cheese or mango, the staff is always making new ones. It doesn’t really matter which one you choose, since they’re all delicious and it just depends on whether you prefer something spicy or fruity — but be sure to order the sweet potato fries on the side! They’re everything one could ask for from a bag of fries: crispy, yet still slightly soft inside and the sweetness only adds to the satisfying bites of burger.

With a bun freshly baked from Schiller Bäckerei next door, my burger still had a soft texture that, together with the melty cheese, makes for a somewhat soggy bite; exactly how I prefer to have my burgers. All in all, Schiller Burger is a safe bet for your burger urges, and we suggest putting it on your list of favorite burger places in Berlin!

Schiller Burger
Herrfurthstraße 7
12049 Berlin Neukölln

Subway: Boddinstraße
+49 172 9824427
visit website

Mon-Sun 11:30-midnight

Comments

1. Andre on

ok, steht rechts, ich habs gefunden, blame it on the Layout. ihr könnt meinen anderen Kommentar löschen. am Ende des Textes würde es meiner Meinung nach mehr Sinn machen, weil sichtbarer

werden wir mal überlegen, danke für den hinweis

2. Mike on

Auf dem iPad ist die Adresse ja nach den Kommentaren. Da schaut wirklich keiner. Und was ich hier tippe , sehkann ich nicht sehen, da hinter der Menubar. Also Entschuldigung für all die Fehler!

Tolle Seite ansonsten!

Danke für den Hinweis, ich gebe das weiter :)

3. Rosemary Mark on

My daughter lives near the Herrfurthstr location. When visiting from California last fall, after walking by many times and seeing the crowds I had to try this Berlin burger. It was as good as your pictures show and the fries are not to be skipped. But my favorite part was watching the employees and customers as I waited for the order. I was surely the oldest person there by at least 20 years and it was fun to be part of the energy and eves drop on the conversations. (As much as I was able to understand auf Deutsch)!

4. Oana on

I live in Schillerkiez and indeed, it is a safe bet, and also one of the only alternatives in the area, as there aren’t too many places to eat around there. But it is definitely far from being one of the best burgers in Berlin (yes, I know you haven’t said that), there are better ones in town…and the sweet potatoes fries are a bit too sugary..

5. Daggle on

Schillerburger is part of the gentrification of the Shillerkiez. The problem is summed up exactly in the policy of employing “friends”. No room for local people there! These places are set up overnight, driving up rents and costs to local people and selling products that few from the area can afford.

1. Seb on

Who are they renting from? They’re renting from local property owners, if the rental prices increase then the property owners business is growing, they can employee more staff, earn more money themselves, spend that money in other local businesses, pay taxes which provides welfare and schools to these ‘local people’.
      If this business is a success and the locals are unable to afford the product then that suggests that this business is bringing affluent people to the area, who will spend money in other local businesses. They may well be tourists or expats who’s income often comes from outside of Germany, never mind outside of Neukölln. Great for the local economy. Let’s remove the tourists from Berlin and see how quickly this city goes bankrupt. Or we can rely on it’s huge banking sector/manufacturing/agriculture – nope.
      This is capitalism, it’s usually not perfect but it’s not North Korea either, no ones eating Don Carlos burgers there.

2. franz on

you are part of the problem. if a good 4 euroburger is too expensive for you then get a f*ing job or go the plenty available crappy and cheap pizzaslice and döner places around the corner on hermannstrasse.
      the problem are always the shitty bars attracting drunkyards who are annoying the shit out of everyone living there.
      having a good choice of restaurants is for the people living there positive.
      another sh* student bar for drunk a*s not.

6. Matthias on

Ausprobiert, und für gut befunden. Danke für den Tipp.

Super, danke!

7. Adrian Verne on

Shake Shack is good, but seriously Patty and Bun in London blows it away by 1000 miles. Hope you try it one day!

8. Christos on

Hi, Schiller burger looks great! Just one thing, there is a Shake Shack in Istanbul. You may want to get a plane towards East some time. Cheers and thanks for the tip.