Food in Berlin: Street Food Thursday

Apple jam on home baked rye-bread, fresh spinach and prosciutto arranged by Leila Kristiansen

Something overly delicious is happening this week and I can’t wait! It’s been missing from the thriving and growing foodie scene of this city and I am very happy that Kitchensurfing, Markthalle IX and Big Stuff BBQ are making it happen: Berlin is getting its very own Street Food Thursday!

Cheddar-Kimchi tacos prepared by Fräulein Kimchi
Cheddar-Kimchi tacos prepared by Fräulein Kimchi

An assembly of highly talented young chefs, many of them not owning a restaurant or other food outlet (yet), will be presenting their creativity and quality in small bites for you to devour. While it’s happening for the first time this and then every coming Thursday from 5 to 10pm at Markthalle IX, I was so very lucky to be invited to have a sneak peak at the served goodies yesterday. And how good all of it was, you should so definitely head over there to get one piece of everything.

Sago pearls filled with peanuts, pork, herbs and loads of other deliciousness served by Siripen Lingk

I was able to taste Fräulein Kimchi’s delicious Korean tacos with Cheddar and her own Kimchi, Leila Kristiansen’s incredibly heart-warming potato tarte tatin and Siripen Lingk’s Thai delicacies, but there is even more foodie-greatness to be discovered on the market – like original Allgäuer Kässpatzen, real English pies from Michael Minch, street food versions of Stefan Hartmann‘s award winning cuisine and of course the wildly popular grilled goods of Big Stuff BBQ, smoked fish by Glut&Späne and so much more!

Potato Tarte Tatin invented by Leila Kristiansen
Potato Tarte Tatin invented by Leila Kristiansen

A fest for your eyes, nose and tongues. Make sure to arrive with an empty stomach and some friends to be able to try as much as you and your appetite will like.

Korean tacos with slow cooked beef served by Fräulein Kimchi
Korean tacos with slow cooked beef served by Fräulein Kimchi
Chocolate-Mocca-Mochi (seriously, gluten- and dairy-free) offered by Fräulein Kimchi
Markthalle Neun

Markthalle Neun

Eisenbahnstrasse 42–43

10997 Berlin Kreuzberg

Görlitzer Bahnhof

Comments

1. Kajsa on

Curious about the Sago pearls. Would love to have a taste :)

2. Lucie on

Everything looks so delicious ! Thanks for trying out all those yummy places, I am now a huge fan of the dumpling restaurant in Prenzlauer Berg!

3. Cari on

I am hungry NOW!

4. Aparna Aurora on

I am about to move to Berlin and absolutely LOVE all these recommendations. Having lived in various parts of the world, I look out for world food. Love the look of what Fraulein Khimchi does. Can’t wait to try it when we’re next in Berlin. Keep them coming!

5. annton on

can’t wait either!

6. Suzy on

Lucky you to get a preview! It all looks beautiful.

7. camilo senties on

the korean tacos were a joke, espensive and overcooked, the sole idea of a korean taco is a joke but had to try… fortunately there were also real mexican tacos of Pibil made by authentic mexicans soooo tasty and the salsas just glorious,,, SFT a great idea but a bit too crowded but the mexican tacos were worth the wait on the line.,,

We experienced the exact opposite though, while we loved the Korean tacos we didn’t really go crazy about the carnitas…

8. John Bosch on

My wife and I will be traveling to Germany again this fall and will be trying to make it to Berlin this time. The pictures just made me hungry for places to try while there.

9. Kiki on

Oh wow! I’m arriving in Berlin on Thursday night! must try to hot foot it from Schoenefeld in time for last orders! Brilliant!

10. Leni on

“Potato Tarte Tatin invented by Leila Kristiansen”? You sure Ms. Kristiansen did not copy from yotam ottolenghi?

It’s just a saying, of course she didn’t literally “invent” it.

11. Anna on

We NEED to have this in Hamburg! Who’s volunteering???

12. Sriparna Ramaswamy on

I am coming from India to try all this out!!

13. Korean Food Lover on

This looks so good all of it. I found your blog when I was looking for Korean places here in Berlin, cause it became a bit like my favourite food here :) I will really check out this place “Fräulein Kimchi” – it looks amazing!