Sweets in Berlin: Du Bonheur

There’s something seriously missing in Berlin: Cannelés. After Ralf Rüller stopped making them for The Barn (thanks to a lack of buyers…!?), I was devoid of any possibility to enjoy those little sweet treats with the soft center enclosed by a thick, caramelized crust. When I read on Foodie in Berlin that this new Patisserie on Brunnenstraße offered them, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on them.

A Canelés in full bloom.
A Cannelés in full bloom.

It took me quite long, considering my serious affection for this French sweet, but the past super hot weekend finally made it happen for me. Along the Cannelés, we treated ourselves to a Bostok, an almond brioche, and a so called Lucy Loo, an almond cake topped with cream, blueberries and pistachios. Everything was wonderful, not too sweet and well balanced, fresh and tasty.

stilinberlin du bonheur-3
A Bostok.
Lucy Loo.
Lucy Loo.

After devouring this deliciousness, my brunch buddy was in the mood for a savory treat and got himself a Stulle with arugula, tomato and ham on a nut bread, which he liked just as much as the sweet things.
Everything is handmade in the Patisserie, everything looks mouth-watering and the pricing is actually okay for the effort needed to offer this kind of treats and you can taste it.

stilinberlin du bonheur-5

The interior is equaling the German understanding of French chic and thus tends a tad too much to the so called shabby chic style, where everything is always just a little too clean and surfaces just look used, instead of having a real history. Imagine those classic Tolix chairs outside instead of the glossy wooden ones, real bistro furniture inside and just a little less super clean white. But who am I to complain, they got CANNELÉS!

And look at these beauties:

stilinberlin du bonheur-7 stilinberlin du bonheur-9 stilinberlin du bonheur-8
Du Bonheur

Du Bonheur

Brunnenstraße 39

10115 Berlin Mitte

Bernauer Straße

Wed–Fri 8:00–19:00
Sat–Sun 09:00–19:00

Comments

1. multikulinaria on

Funny, that they call the Rote-Johannisbeer-Tarte Ribisel-Tarte. That’s neaither french nor German but the austrian term for red currant.
    The sweets and bread look delicious. Got to try…
    Thanks for sharing!

2. anna on

“cannelés” please with double “n”
    merci!

3. Florian Duijsens on

Thanks, Anna! I’m seeing both spellings online though. The NY Times, for instance, spells it with only one, so I think both spellings are allowed in an English context.

4. mihaela on

This looks really good! The whole atmosphere looks exactly like my type of place to visit. Definitely going to stop by the next time I’m in the area.

5. Janne on

I read somewhere that you get the best croissants in Berlin in a patisserie in Brunnenstrasse. This is probably the same place?

6. Suzy on

Oh, pleased you made it out here. Canneles, caneles – “you say tomato I say tomato….”

7. Lesley on

Just to clear things up (if one wants to get official on the spelling issue), spelling canelé with one ‘n’ denotes that it was made in Bordeaux. The double n indicates that it was created outside of the region and was not subject to the same quality standards as canelé from Bordeaux. All you pastry nerds can read more here:

There are also delicious canneles to be found at Two and Two on Pannierstrasse in Neukolln – a relatively new French/Japanese cafe and stationary shop just a few doors down from the Berlin Burger International. Somehow they really mastered the caramel-ey outside/custardy inside thing…

8. Ludmila Dao on

Very disappointing. Eclairs au chocolat barely tasted like chocolate. I would have been even happier with frozen éclairs au chocolat from Picard. No marzipan on “fraisier” which is the basics and disappointing “crème au beurre”. And it seemed to me, this place is more an illustration of German misunderstanding of French chic.

wow, that sounds disappointing… it’s been a while since I went and obviously we need to make a re-visit

9. Ole on

dear mary,

i have the same weakness for cannelés. stéphane of “macaron de stéphane” sells them occasionally at his stand on the boxi market on saturday. have a try! they are excellent!!